Friday, November 8, 2013

4th World Day of Faux Stamp Artists - air mail art

Tony M has a great mail art blog.

Currently he is running the 4th World Day of Faux Stamp Artists celebration. This is being run in conjunction with La Poste, the French post office, so that they will actually allow mail to be sent to Tony with a fake stamp. I cannot imagine that happening with the USPS.

To date only Belgium has issued official stamps that feature mail art. Scroll down Tony M's post to see one.

I don't speak French, so I didn't quite get all the specifications right (I was supposed to put the words 'Mail Art' somewhere on the stamp. I may retrofit the words in there.

Here's the stamp:



And here's the envelope I sent:


Edit: Tony received it, once again uncancelled! Tony didn't open it and thought it was anonymous - hopefully he reads my comment on his site. 

Quoting him: 'Une belle lettre. Un anonyme! Elle n'est pas oblitérée. D'où vient-elle? Des USA ?...' which google translated as, 'A beautiful letter. An anonymous (one)! It is not obliterated cancelled. Where does it come from? U.S.? ...' [I have made corrections to googles translation].

Looks like the centrally placed stamp was somewhat in disguise, and I love the fact that the French word for cancelled is basically 'obliterated'.

That's the second one I've sent him that is unfranked... hopefully the 3D one arrives this week to see what happens there, although those stamps are placed in a corner at least.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the "T" map in Boston. T is the public transportation in Boston. Great match up with envie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both envelope and stamp represent the 'mother' of world subway systems.

    ReplyDelete