Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday stamps - an apple a day...




...keeps the doctor away. Here are three of the four 33c apple stamps from the USA (postcard rate from 2013). 

Update: you can read about the apple varieties at USPS



Today's Sunday Stamps theme is health, medicine and the Red Cross.

I have this one from the British set of medical discoveries issued in 1994. This was also the Europa theme for the year.



__________________________


On a side note, I *think* this is my 500th blog post. Thanks for all the great envelopes and other mail art, and not forgetting the stamps themselves.

11 comments:

  1. Good idea for your participation in Sunday Stamps.
    And congratulations for your 500th blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on both accounts. Hard to believe the blog is so long now.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on reaching 500.
    The apples are a nice touch for the theme. I didn't see the Europa stamps as I was too busy changing jobs that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like other countries have issued a lot more stamps on health than the US. There's the recent heart health and reissued breast cancer one, and not much else.

      Delete
  3. I like your apples taking centre stage. I don't remember the medical discoveries set although it did make me think it has been a recurring theme over the years. Congratulations on the 500th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the apples. I wish they'd named the varieties. The one on the right looks like a russet, but maybe they aren't meant to be anything particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated the post with a link to the apples. They are golden delicious, Grant Smith, Baldwin, northern spy. Last one I've never heard of.

      Delete
  5. like Apples,specially the red,crispy juicy one :)
    Congrats to your 500th post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think my favorite is golden delicious.

      Delete
  6. I've always liked this apple series. And thanks for naming them - I wasn't sure. We have lots of Spy apples in Ontario ;)

    My apologies for Sunday - internet went down and is only now back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your internet is back on. I think the group did pretty well at finding each other's posts in your absence.

      Delete