Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday stamps - postal

The theme for today's Sunday Stamps is post boxes or anything postal.

I have a scanned image of 3 different letters/postcards. The 3 relevant items are top right - 25c stamp from 1989 celebrating the 20th Universal Postal Congress, bottom right, a mailing label from an automated post center (usually located in the lobbies of busy post offices) featuring a classic US mail box, and a label with Mr Zip promoting the introduction of zip or postal codes in the US.

A bonus point for knowing what ZIP stands for without resorting to wikipedia :)

For more Sunday Stamps participants, click here.

12 comments:

  1. Zone Identification Post? I remember Mr. Zip with his slogan,, Mail moves the country and Zipcode moves the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stamps!
    ZIP, no idea. HEre in NL we call it postcode. Zone sounds right, but moreover, Zip reminds me of the locking thing, which brings two halfs/ways together :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was interested to see if anyone knew the origin - in most other countries it is just the post code, or postal code. In US english, a 'zip' is a 'zipper'.

      Delete
  3. I never really thought about what ZIP stood for - it was good enough for me to think it meant something along the lines of zipping the mail through from one location to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the PO loved the acronym for this reason.

      Delete
  4. Zone (in) Post? Just Post Zone. The I just makes it seem faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes from Zone Improvement Plan, and has become the US word for post code.

      Delete
  5. I'd never considered that zip might stand for anything. You live and learn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it stood for something, I just couldn't remember - so I did use wikipedia ;)

      Delete
  6. No I didn't know Zip stood for anything either. I imagine they had a lot of fun with promoting its use with Mr Zip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ad executive's dream, really. Here's a guy named Zip who speeds things along - pretty much writes itself.

      Delete