Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sunday Stamps Water Birds

Water birds is this week's Sunday Stamps theme. Go here for more entries.

Last year the post office issued a new set of non-denominated postcard rate stamps - currently 35c. I don't think many countries offer a postcard rate any more, and I am not sure why the US still does - is it really cheaper to deliver a postcard compared to a letter? I suppose they do weigh less, so maybe on balance less fuel is required to deliver one?

Anyway, the set of 4 stamps issued is titled coastal birds. I have sent and received all of them.

They feature the Frigatebird, Red Knot, Spoonbill, and King Eider.









The other water bird I have sent out in the past is the Tufted Puffin stamp. This was issued in 2013 at 86c, which was the cost of the 3oz letter rate at the time (currently 93c).This is a great stamp, really unusual subject. They are found in the northern Pacific, and have been sighted as far south as Northern California.


I sent one out in combination with a Frigatebird on a another bird-themed envelope made from a Charley Harper calendar.



And just received one in the last few days:



_______________________________________

Last time I participated in Sunday Stamps I chose a bridge stamp that I have in my possession, but have never used. Well, here it is with a few others on a package I sent to Finland recently.









10 comments:

  1. The tufted puffin is superb. The frigatebird always fascinates me and it's interesting to see these postcard stamps although I would have preferred to see the birds than a representation of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both realistic and stylized designs. The puffins are very cool, I agree.

      Delete
  2. Even with our dollar at a decades low (below .70¢ usd) it might be worth the trip to send my Postcrossing postcards from Niagara Falls NY, if it's only .35¢!
    Puffins are such curiously funny looking birds and these tufted ones have quite a thing going with those long eyebrow looking tufts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 35c for postcards sent within the USA, however is your Postcrossing cards are heading to other countries it's the full $1.20.

      Funny that eyebrow tufts on puffins are cool, eyebrow tufts on people not so much.

      Delete
  3. The postcard stamps are gorgeous. The tufted puffin is a curiosity, I like the choice of two views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact that the PO issued 4 different stamps. The previous postcard stamp, the 34c hummingbird, is one that I liked - I am a big fan of all of Nancy Stahl's stamp art, but I did get bored seeing the same design over and over.

      One thing I forgot to mention is that this is the first issue of stamps at the postcard rate that are non-denominated. I'll be interested to see how long it takes for this issue to be used up; previously a rate change would necessitate a stamp change.

      Delete
  4. Great serie!
    The spoonbill is incredibly colourful - in the Netherlands they are white, with a black or dark brown beak. Are they indeed so colourful in the USA?

    And again thank you so much for your wonderful Harper envelope with the great Frigatebird and Puffin stamp! The firstmentioned I have seen flying when I was in the Dutch Antilles, many years ago, and I thought it an imposant, beautiful bird.
    I hope to see Puffins in real, one day, too, but if not, I am very much delighted by viewing the stamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to wikipedia there are 6 types of spoonbill. The stamp shows a roseate spoonbill. They are found in Florida, the Caribbean and South America. From photos online their plumage reminds me of flamingos as there seems to be a range of pink from pale to bright fuchsia.
      I'm glad I sent you that envelope - I had no idea it would make you so happy.

      Delete